- About Arctic Char
- News & Press
- Our Products
- Submit Your Recipe
- “Bombay” and Red Beet Infused Arctic Char
- Arctic Char with Gravlax Sorrel Cream Sauce
- Jalapeno-Honey Tartar Sauce
- Marinade for Grilled Arctic Char
- Arctic Char Chowder
- Arctic Char In Salt Crust With Saffron Aioli
- Arctic Char Stuffed With Ginger, Lime Leaves, Chiles And Onions
- Arctic Char Tartare, Shaved Fennel Salad and Buttered Toast Points
- Contact Us
Nutritional Benefits of Arctic Char
In an age where customers are increasingly wary of chemically-treated foods, farmed fish, and genetically altered foods, Nunavut Truly Wild Arctic Char offers an alternative that promises to be the purest fish available in the marketplace.
Why Eat Fish?
Fish in general are an excellent natural source of protein, vitamins, minerals and polyunsaturated omega-3 fatty acids. Oily fish have an even higher concentration of omega-3 oils.
Health Canada and the American Heart Association recommend eating 2-3 servings of fish per week to ensure you ingest enough omega-3 essential fatty acids. Essential means the body cannot synthesize it and we must eat certain foods, particularly cold water fish, to ensure our body gets this important component.
Along with a balanced diet, omega-3 fatty acids have been documented to:
- help prevent cardiovascular disease
- lower blood pressure and hypertension
- inhibit the formation of blood clots
- help reduce plaque build up in arteries
- reduce chronic inflammatory states
- possibly reduce the risk of some cancers
As well, omega-3 fatty acids are essential for brain development during pregnancy and postpartum through breast-feeding.
The cold and clean waters of the North produce fish that have an increased amount of these important nutrients making them superior to fish from other parts of the world. Wild Arctic Char is one of the most nutritious fish products available on the market today.
Nutritional Information for Arctic Char (per 100g serving, raw)
- Energy – 154 Cal / 640 kJ
- Protein – 20 g
- Fat – 8.1 g
- Carbohydrate – 0
- Sodium – 51 mg
- Potassium – 551 mg
- Omega-3 – 6 g